Sunday, October 25, 2009

A really good week. . .

October 25th, 2009 - Today is Sunday. It's been a while since I have blogged, so let me catch everyone up with what has been going on here at home central. I got the results of my PET/CT scan. I have lymph nodes in the right groin area (where the hernia was) that are cancerous, along with one lymph node in the right chest. No organs have been involved with the lymphoma, so this is all good news. I meet this Thursday with the doctor, and hopefully find out all of the other results of my tests and the duration of my treatment.

Monday I had my first "run" since four days before my hernia surgery. Now I only ran a distance of about four light poles, but it was running and I was able to do this twice. Look out marathon, I am on my way. The legs were a little wobbly, but they held up. Tuesday I actually went for a run with my wife, and was able to run for short distances off and on for two and a half miles.

Wednesday was a day of setbacks as I got a cold. Now my wife would say I was overdoing it on Monday and Tuesday, and that's how I got this cold, but I think it was all part of a vast global Cancer conspiracy - one in which I am merely a pawn, but I digress. I went to my chiropractor later on Wednesday, and received a bunch of supplements which have helped me get over the cold pretty fast. (Thereby foiling the great cancer plot.)

Friday was my wife's birthday and to celebrate, she ran a half marathon on Saturday. I was able to get out and cheer her on at the seven mile mark, and also greet her at the finish. Even with all the stuff that is going on with me, she is continuing to do well in her training and running. She is an inspiration. I can only hope I can catch up with her once all of this (fill in blank) is over.

Today is Sunday and after mass, my wife and I went shopping to buy me some clothes that fit. I have lost 20 pounds since the hernia surgery, so if you are on my Facebook, check out the photos. In my current profile picture, I'm wearing the same outfit I was wearing in San Diego in August. My once prominent stomach is much less so. I won't say it is gone, but at least it doesn't arrive five minutes before I walk into a room. So there is one positive aspect of this cancer thing.

And now I must ask that we all take a moment of silence to note the passing of my hair. Now I was told to expect this, but after two weeks out from the chemo I was thinking; "Hey, maybe I am in such good shape I won't lose my hair." Nice thought, but WRONG. As I was sitting down Thursday, I noticed a hair falling through the sunlight. Then another. Now this is a little gross, so proceed at your own caution: I put my thumb and index finger into my hair and gave a little pull and at least 20-30 hairs were there. Running my fingers through the hair creates a ticker-tape like parade of cascading hairs falling into the bathroom sink. So Friday night my wife gave me a close trim, i.e. a crew cut. But I can still sit and pull my hair out (literally). So today I argue with myself whether it is time to just get out the razor and get it over with? Is it better to have a crew cut with bald patches, or just be totally bald? I will need to ask my nephew and brother in law about this, but I think I already know their answer.

In the meantime, I continue to get stronger and am able to do more with more energy as I await my next round of chemo this Thursday - right after I meet with my doctor. Thank you for your prayers, I believe they are giving me the strength to endure. Until next time. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment