Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sometimes the best laid plans...

November 7, 2009 - Today was a red letter day for me. I got on my bicycle for the first time since September. With the thoughts of the wind blowing through my "hair" (I am sorry but the term "across my bald scalp" is just not poetic), I planned to ride off to find my wife running on the canals. The canals are about 3 1/2 to 4 miles away from the house, and this was a piece of cake back when I rode to work. So after I took all of my health supplements and ate a light snack, I proceeded to get my bike ready; inflating the tires, oiling my chain, getting my bike up to its optimum performance. I stocked the bike with water and Gatorade for my "long" ride. I got some money, just in case she wanted to meet me at Wildflower for breakfast after her run, grabbed my cell phone and was ready.

First thing I noticed is the 22 pound weight loss has not changed the snugness of the bike shorts, but the jersey is fitting much better. I looked at myself in the mirror and thought "Damn, you are looking good." The bald head really rocks the biker look. I look as though I could pass as a "real" biker. (I apologize to those who read this and think that the term "Biker" only applies to motorcyclers - we on the un-motorized bikes freely acknowledge that we are not as "hardcore" as you all.) So, with my plans in place, I will ride out to the canal. With great luck, I'll bump into my wife as she is out running 15 miles today.

As I head out I decide to give myself one lap around the neighborhood to become acclimated with my bike before venturing out on the major streets. Big mistake - have you ever stepped on the wrong side of a rake - only to have it jump up and hit you square in the face? Luckily I have not, but I get about halfway down the block and feel the muscles in my legs, chest and butt start to question what the hell am I doing. These muscles have had the luxury of two months of inactivity, or minimal use at best (four light poles - refer to earlier blog). My lungs start to scream at me. I feel my heart beat stronger that it has (at least without chemical help) in a long time. I turn the corner and head into the wind (okay it's really a nice breeze) and my pace slows dramatically. At this point I forget about meeting my wife, forget about breakfast, forget about leaving the neighborhood. My rake hit says, "Can I finish the lap around the neighborhood?" The lap is just under 2 miles. I make it and the 'challenge' part of my brain says, "Okay, you can go around this block again!" I go about another tenth and realize my legs, lungs and heart have it in for the brain and are saying, "What the hell are you doing going further away from the house?" Listening to my body and not my head, I take a shortcut and head back to the house. "Just make it home," I tell myself. I do. I open the garage, put back the water and Gatorade (unopened mind you), take off the bike shoes, put the bike away and go into the house and collapse in a chair - a recliner - which I do in fact recline. I sit and wait. My wife shows up shortly thereafter. She has had a great run. While she recovers and showers, I still sit. We end up going out to breakfast. I did not need to ride out and meet her on the canals, but I know that I need to ride more. Just not today.

Yesterday I met with a naturopathic oncologist. I was concerned of secondary infection and the lack of energy due to the chemo. The doctor only works with cancer patients, and set up a treatment plan for me with supplements and other things to help with the chemotherapy. I got a shot of Tramueel at his office that he thinks will help with some of the side effects of the Nuelasta shot I take as part of the chemo. I do feel better, so maybe this will help. He suggests a vitamin C IV treatment, which I get on Monday. With his help, I will be able to get back to exercising without losing my complete fitness level to this cancer.

So until next time, I will leave you with this thought; even though you have great plans and then find you cannot follow through, at least you had the plan and the attempt. I enjoyed getting on the bike despite the 'rake in the face' and hey, I still got breakfast. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment